Friday, March 12, 2010

Catie: Things I would make if we were rich...

I took for granted all the fabric and craft stores of America.  I still don't know how I feel about giant chain stores coming in and killing off the little guys, but right about now, I would kill for a Michael's or a JoAnn's with their miles of buttons and bias tape and fabric for less than $10.00 a fat quarter.  The warm weather makes me really want to sew, but the problems of not having a sewing machine or actual lengths of fabric to work with leave me a little stranded.  Usually, I'd go buy a sheet if I really couldn't afford a bunch of fabric and I wanted some (thrift store sheets make dresses for $2.00), but Korea doesn't make sheets.

Haha.  I'm at a loss.  And while it can be infinitely frustrating, yarn has proven easy to come by.  And that's just amazing.  It seems like every time I round a corner there's a yarn shop (okay, not really, but I'm being positive).  I've found four so far, plus E-mart, which has a little.  The fourth one I found at the big, fat traditional market last weekend when we went down there in search of buttons.  No buttons were found, but we did find a bazillion bolts of silk and other shiny, traditional Korean wedding dress (Hanbok) fabrics.  I hold out hope that somewhere in the literal maze of shops I might find some affordable fabric someday.  Someday.  When we're rich.

Anyway, today I went looking for an orange extract recipe and, somehow, stumbled upon a million Martha Stewart sewing patterns.  Some of them were not so cute, but some of them make me all bubbly inside and now I'm conniving ways to get around our financial barriers and utilize our dollar stores....

Until then, these are on my list of things to make, either when we're rich, or once I devise a most brilliant plan:

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Sleeper of a Bag""][/caption]

This super cute bag is made out of one pillowcase and I want it.  I'd want to make it out of two, so it would have a lining and not be too thin, but......... Korea doesn't have pillowcases, only pillow shams... so.  Maybe next life.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Doily Tablecloth""][/caption]

I think this is cute.  Plus, it looks easy and quickly gratifying. At the Dollar Place, they have a bunch of doilies for cheap, so this one might actually be doable.  We'll see.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Bandana Tablecloth""][/caption]

Bandanas: distinctly American.  This one looks cute and summery and also very easily gratifying.  I'm really into things that are easy and gratifying.. maybe because I've been knitting all winter.  While not difficult, it does take concentration and it is painfully slow sometimes.  Still, I did pick the Tea Leaves Cardigan (see last post) for my gold yarn and the yoke is coming along nicely.  So, no actual complaints.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Homemade Duvet Cover""][/caption]

I made a duvet cover in high school and it was cute, but I could make a cuter one now and since we have these two, big white fake-down comforters that keep getting dirty, I want to make one even more.  I've been working on it in my head for a long time, but so far: nothing.  Why does Korea sell big, white fluffy fake-down comforters with no duvet covers?  There are a lot of answers I can't give you.  Basically, America is the land of way too much.  You can find anything in the entire world you want in America in almost any city, big or small.  Shipping is usually not very expensive if whatever-it-is has to be ordered.  Other countries don't live that way, it turns out.  They make do with what they have.  It's entirely frustrating, but.. not unreasonable.  In a way, I guess it forces more creativity.  Seriously, you should see some of the little carriers people have rigged up to their bicycles and scooters.  Nothing short of creative genius.  On the whole, I'd say our land of plenty makes us a lot less creative and a lot more color-inside-the-lines boo-riing.  Now just so long as Ben doesn't remind me I wrote this the next time I complain that Korea has nothing I want...

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Slipcovered Headboard""][/caption]

I just think this is cute.  Mostly because I like things that I can change on a whim, like Swatches.  If you made enough, it could be like a headboard Swatch.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Button-Up Window Shade"][/caption]

I want this.  And I want this now.  Where, God, does Korea keep it's buttons and it's cotton fabric?

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Handmade Dolls"][/caption]

I like dolls.  I think they're cute.  Especially when you get to make them yourself.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Bias Toward the Pretty""][/caption]

Bias tape just makes things look nice, doesn't it?

And, lastly...

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption=""Removable Tote Organizer""][/caption]

This is clever.  And I like it.  I don't have a tote... but if I were rich, I'd make one, just so I could make this to put inside it.

There are just about a hundred things that could be on this list, but these are the ones I'm lusting after today.  By next week, I'll probably have a whole new bunch.

I'm going to post a yummy fried banana recipe next, so... you should read that, too.

- catie

1 comment: