Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ben: Pictures of School Part II

[caption id="attachment_344" align="alignleft" width="294" caption="Sally Student"][/caption]

Here a couple more pictures of my students. I will get pictures of the other teachers soon (I just haven't had a chance yet).  These pictures are of my two  favorite classes.  They are both 100 level writing classes (so the kids are between 10-13 years old). Here is Sally student, Rebecca's arm, and part of Anna's  head. They are all in the Tuesday/Thursday 100D writing class. For most of the term Sally was the only student in the class. She is probably the funniest  student at Ewha. She knows enough English to be goofy and silly and love to ham it up. For two weeks she insisted that there was another student in the  classroom besides here and would only answer questions if I pointed to her after she raised her hand. She also wrote a paragraph about how I shouldn't  give her homework and another about her best friend, whose name is "Imaginary Electronic Computer Dictionary Friend." She is also really bright, and  even with two more students in the class, she is still the one who answers almost all the questions.

[caption id="attachment_345" align="alignright" width="294" caption="More Hangman"][/caption]

More hangman. The other thing about Korean hangman is that they don't always know how to spell the words they are having the other kids guess. So spaces will be erased or added halfway through the game and sometime the word will be entirely rewritten after 15 minutes have guessing has gone on. Also letters will sometimes be guessed, not written down, and than suddenly appear in the word. Despite all these problems, they still love it.



[caption id="attachment_346" align="alignleft" width="294" caption="Sally Stumping Rebecca and Anna"][/caption]

Here is my other awesome 100 Writing class. There are seven kids it in, and they are younger than most of the other 100 writing classes. They are also still super excited to at school learning, even though it is the third or fourth hagwon they have in addition to regular school. This is Harry, who is super smart and earnest, he got the "Best Student in Class" award that Ewha gives out, and he deserved it. The girl behind him is Lily, who is also egger to learn. Whenever I correct her homework she always demands to know what she did wrong and right (most students just want the teacher to sign off on it and not give them detention).




Lily and Harry wanted to me to take serious pictures of them. I took funnier pictures too, but they didn't turn out because I'm not very good at taking non-blurry pictures.



I know that my last post was a bit cynical, so hopefully you won't think that I can't stand any of my students. I really do have fun students and classes that are a blast. Even those classes in which I despair of the students ever learning anything are usually still fun to goof around with.

-Ben Teacher

1 comment:

  1. Ben Teacher, you have wonderful students and I bet they love you. Thank you for sending them. It was so great to "see" you and Catie, even if we couldn't always hear each other. Now we have to set up more times to see each other.
    Love. Mom

    ReplyDelete